A Highly Responsive, Straightforward Criminal Law Attorney Keeping You Apprised Of Your Options And Fighting For The Best Possible Outcomes.
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  4.  » Keep Your Driving Privileges

Keep Your Driving Privileges After An OWI/DUI/DWI Arrest In Iowa

A drunk driving case in Iowa, as in other states, consists of two related but distinct aspects:

  • The criminal matter: A conviction, if it happens, will take time and will mean jail and a criminal record.
  • The Iowa Department of Transportation (IDOT) civil matter: Loss of your driver’s license can happen very quickly.

Even when people arrested for drunk driving understand that the worst part about a conviction would be to have a criminal record, often, they are most urgently concerned about losing their driving privileges.

A driver’s license suspension is often the first “punishment” resulting from a drunk driving arrest. In the Des Moines metro area, as in most American communities, living without a car can be quite difficult. Yes, there are buses and taxis but most Iowans are used to the freedom of movement that a driver’s license and a car make possible.

For these reasons, you will be wise to work with an OWI/DUI/DWI attorney who understands your priorities, beginning with your need to keep your driving privileges.

Time is of the essence if police took your driver’s license during your OWI/DUI/DWI arrest. Once you receive a notice of suspension from IDOT after a drunk driving arrest, you have a 10-day window during which to file a hearing to appeal this suspension of your driving privileges. You may still drive your car in the meantime, but without setting up a hearing, you may lose your driving privileges in a matter of days. If you miss the opportunity to appeal the suspension, you may be without a driver’s license for a long time.

I am Joseph P. Vogel, an experienced OWI/DUI/DWI defense lawyer in Des Moines. If I represent you, I can help you make your best effort to get the suspension of your driver’s license postponed or canceled. Call me at 515-243-1978 or send an email to schedule a consultation.